Wednesday, April 29, 2009

A Mama's Love








A Mama’s Love

How can you love

 something this much? How can you love something this quickly? How can you love something this much that is not from your own self?  

I am amazed by my own heart for this little girl.   I knew I would grow to love her, but I didn’t realize it would be so immediate.  I could not be certain that my heart and my mind would feel the same as when I birthed a newborn into our family.   Now I know! 

Attachment - It may take days.  It may take weeks.  For many it takes months.  And in some cases it even takes years.  Hours of “adoption classes” teach in length on the idea of attachment, and present possible attachment disorders.   Aware of the risk, we stored the possibility in the back of our minds, and prayed that this would be a smooth transition for Rayne, and

 that she would attach quickly and easily to our family.  Remarkable...it seems that Rayne has already  shown incredible signs of “attachment.”  It seems natural for her to make eye contact during her feedings, to engage us while playing, to respond to our voices and our love, to interact with others peacefully and happily. She trusts us, and she allows us to care for her. 

We are thankful.  We are thankful to her birth mother for nursing her and creating an attachment for Rayne at the beginning.  We are thankful to her nannies at the care center, who have obviously loved her, cared for her, and enjoyed her smile.  We are thankful to God that Rayne was knitted together for our family, and that this attachment seems natural.  

1 comment:

  1. OH my gosh! I really cannot believe this! Too amazing. So beyond what we could even imagine. Look at YOUR family! BEAUTIFUL. So happy, so glowing. Oh my only sadness is not being able to share in this special time with you guys in real time. We are so happy for you and can't wait for a moment to be able to talk. (this is shannon by the way, it will come up as Troy ;) Love you

    ReplyDelete